Tuesday, 24 July 2012

This Isn't A Vacation?



I have been in Australia for a full week and a half, and I am happy to say I am over the jet lag! I tried to distract myself from the tired feeling by going to the beach, cooking real meals, (or at least trying!) and going to Sunshine Plaza to walk around and window shop.

As I skyped my Grandparents this morning, Grandpa gave me the great idea of posting a map of exactly where I am. Australia is a big place, so I hope this helps you get a better idea of my location. I am in the Sunshine Coast, in a town called Sippy Downs, about 30 minutes from Brisbane.



I am not used to cooking every meal for myself, and it is proving to be much harder than I thought (Mom, I don’t know how you do it!) Unfortunately I have resorted to spaghetti and cereal for the majority of my meals thus far. Don’t worry, it didn’t take long for me to realize that this diet plan is simply a bad idea. In future grocery shopping trips I am making a point to buy healthy options like chicken, nuts and salad, as opposed to instant noodles. I hope I can stick with this plan!
I accidentally steamed the whole stalk of broccoli instead of a normal portion.  

I am happy to say my friends and I have made it to the beach three times already! We have taken the bus to two different beaches, one called Maloolooba, and one called Alex Beach in Maroochydore (try saying those ten times fast!) It has been a blast, and thankfully the weather has been warm enough during the day to actually go swimming! It is hard to believe they call this winter.

In the midst of meeting so many new people, taking trips to the beach and just hanging out with friends, I almost forgot that I am here for school! I had a rude awakening on Tuesday morning when reality set in, and I realized that I am not on a 4.5 month vacation, but I actually have to go to class.

I have had only two classes so far, and they are much different than what I am used to at Elon. At Elon, I am in a small classroom with one professor and roughly 25 students. Here I am in a lecture hall with roughly 200 students and a new professor each week for certain classes. The course setup is also different here in the sense that I have two classes for each subject; one lecture, and one tutorial. The tutorials are smaller, similar to Elon classes, and both tutes, as they are called, and lectures meet only once a week. The grading scale here is different as well. Instead of receiving an A, B, C, D, and F, they give HD (High Distinction), D (Distinction), C (Credit), P (Pass), and F (Fail). Apparently less that 5% of students actually receive High Distinction, which is hard to believe. I am curious to see how these grades transfer back to my Elon transcript.
One of the Lecture Halls

I am lucky because my schedule allowed me to have my four lectures and tutorials on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. This means a four-day weekend! I am not sure what I will do with such a long weekend, but I am sure I will find some fun adventures to keep me busy.

I am off to my second class of the day! I am having a wonderful time here, but I also miss everyone from home! If you want me to send you a postcard from Down Under, just email me your address and I would be happy to write!!

Kangaroo Love,
Xoxoxoxo
Tessa


Tjones24@elon.edu


*And for those of you who were curious, here is my address!
Tessa Jones
79C/7 Varsity View Court
Sippy Downs Queensland, Australia
4556

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you had a blog -- but I'm lovin' it. Isn't blogging great? Now you have to add the gadget that either allows us to get an email automatically when there is a new post or follow in a reader.

    ReplyDelete