Sunday, 26 August 2012

I Went Skydiving


 This weekend was one of the most exhilarating and memorable weekends of my life. From skydiving from 14,000 ft. to learning how to surf for the first time, I can definitely say I pushed my limits.

The weekend started Thursday at 1p.m. when 50 USC students boarded a bus heading to SpotX Surf Camp, which happened to be six hours away. The drive went by quickly and we all enjoyed a delicious dinner before hanging out around the campfire. We got a quick tour of the facility and saw where we would be gearing up for our surfing lessons the following days.

 Friday August 24th was the big day. I was planning on skydiving and learning how to surf, two things I had never done before. My two friends Haley and Sophia joined me for a 7a.m. breakfast before we caught our ride to go skydiving. We drove 30 minutes to the airport near Coffs Harbour.

We nervously geared up while the instructors checked the weather and wind levels. We got the low down and were told that only two of the three of us could go up at one time. I certainly didn’t want to go up alone (I am terrified of flying on a normal plane, and I would be scared out of my mind to jump out of one without someone else by my side!) Sophia was sweet enough to volunteer to make the journey by herself after us.

Haley and I got on a tiny tiny plane, big enough for five at most. There weren’t even seats! We sat on a cushioned floor as we took off. Our instructors each had handy-cams to record the whole experience. 

I had a minor nervous breakdown on the flight up to 14,000 ft. A million thoughts were running through my mind, and after a few tears, and a comforting tap on the foot (thanks, Haley) it was time to take a leap of faith. The old saying, “a picture is worth a thousand words” certainly applies in this situation. I was hesitant posting these first few shots of me jumping out of the plane, because, let’s just say, I don’t look my best. But they are here because they really express my feelings at the moment. See below.

If you have the time, I have also attached a video of the whole skydiving experience. It includes the interview before, during and after the jump. The first 30 seconds of the 60 second jump were petrifying. I finally accepted the fact that I was falling at 120mph and I decided to try to force a smile. It worked, and I even enjoyed myself the rest of the fall down. At 5,000 ft. Julian, my instructor counted down 3, 2, 1 and the parachute opened! I was SO relieved.

 Click here to view my Skydiving Video

The overall experience was completely worth all of the fear and nerves I had built up. I had such a great time, and although I am not dying to go back up and take another jump (umm Haley haha), I am so glad I did it. It was a wonderful way to start my weekend away from school. The following hours of that day were filled with surfing and more bonfire fun. I will write another post all about surfing in the next few days. Stay tuned!

Much Love,

Tessa
xoxoxoxo

3 comments:

  1. Tessa,
    I love that you are "spreading your wings" in so many different directions. Now is the time to do that. Keep posting and I'll keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was so fantastic to watch. My heart was racing the whole time! You are very brave!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tessa- it was so great to Skype w/ you this past weekend. It is like magic. You are so lucky to be there Love, love G & G

    ReplyDelete